Honeysuckle - The Pantone 2011 Color of the Year - Goldflame, anyone?


Honeysuckle is the official Pantone color of the year. You will see this color everywhere for the next 12 months... in ads, fashion, housewares, etc.
So how does Pantone choose the 'Color of the Year'?


Do they drink several glasses of wine and look swooningly at lush Pantone color swatches and say, 'That's it -  that's the color!"....?

Or maybe they say, "We have all this pink colored inventory that we can't sell because no one wants that color...why don't we make it 'The Color of the Year'?"

But I think I know the real answer - some discerning landscape designer planted a Goldflame Honeysuckle (Lonicera heckrotti 'Goldflame') on a trellis for someone in Corporate....and the 'dye was cast'. :)


They saw the magnificent 'Goldflame' Honeysuckle and wanted to share it with the world. It is a fantastic vining plant that  I use often on trellises.

image courtesy of Monrovia


Of course there are other plants that sport this color (or close to it). Here are a few I have found:

Magnolia Purple Breeze - courtesy of Emotive Landscapes


Flower Carpet Rose - Pink Supreme





Be ready for a run on 'Goldflame' Honeysuckle this year.....

Comments

  1. I have a magnificent Goldflame honeysuckle on a trellis right outside my back porch. It's one of the best gardening decisions I've ever made. Attracts so may hummingbirds. And even though the scent is very light, the color of those blooms make up for it. Awesome plant. And for a vine, it really behaves itself with little work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you feel the same way as I...I never knew about the hummingbirds...a great bonus to all who plant this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been checking out the latest and greatest in gardening for 2011, and this color, and plant are winners! Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have Goldflame honeysuckle growing along my deck railing, and the hummingbirds love it! The only thing is, when I heard the Pantone color of the year was Honeysuckle, I immediately envisioned a golden yellow. Goldflame is certainly not the most common variety of honeysuckle, but it was a fun surprise to discover that the color is actually pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work at Gardener's Supply, where we are always watching color trends. This year, our functional raised beds are getting a little style. Come March, look for them in Periwinkle blue. And self-watering windowboxes in Lime and Grape. Could be fun! No honeysuckle yet. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Periwinkle blue - that is great! I think honeysuckle would be over the top....did you read the post I wrote on Gardener's Supply last year?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen