Sparkling White Plants in the Fall

Garden  #heavenisagarden

White elevates a garden. It soothes us.  Uplifts us.  It adds sparkle to any outdoor space. This clear and crisp color shines brightly on a misty autumn morning like a beacon that offers us sweet tidings. 

Because white flowers 'glow' in dark autumn evenings, I place white mums in pots by my door to greet people. I also plant them in the ground to light up dark corners.

white mums - photo by Jan Johnsen

I also enjoy how white Angelonia flowers (an annual here)  keep blooming in the coolness.

Angelonia and Buddy Purple Gomphrena. annuals here ...photo by Jan Johnsen

And of course, Montauk Daisies are the stars of October...shining ever so freshly on cool afternoons...they are perennial and come back every year.

Montauk Daisy and Japanese Forest Grass - photo by Jan Johnsen

Montauk Daisies

And don't forget those plants that have variegated leaves!

Outside my window in the northwest section of my little yard is a variegated dogwood shrub.

I prune it back in early spring and then the green and white leaves grow in to cover the compact bush with a cloak of brightness, which I especially admire in autumn.

Variegated Dowood shrub - photo by Jan Johnsen

Variegated iris ensata is also a stand out in the fall. Its white and green blades are still looking strong.  I took this photo below in October.

Variegated Iris ensata - photo by Jan Johnsen

And of course white can be introduced in other ways into a garden:


But that is a topic for another day.....




Comments

  1. Here in the (formerly) hot and humid south, I am looking at white Lantana montevidensis which can take some amount of frost, white Gerbera daisies and Sweet Alyssum in my white garden. I'm looking forward to a trip to buy white Violas, Snapdragons and if I can find them, Iceland Poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded me of my upstate New York white birch trees which I miss down here in Virginia.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey buddy, you have done the fantastic job, your post is genuinely amazing. maryb25

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm very helpful blog, especially for someone like me. Warmest thanks! landscaping in Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen