10 Great Garden Photos of 2014 - Serenity in the Garden

Allium 'Millenium' by Laura McKillop


What makes a great garden photo? Anything that delights you.

But if I had to put my finger on it - salient aspects would be the quality of the light and the richness of color. And composition figures prominently. 

That said, here are some memorable photographs that have been featured in this year's 'Serenity in the Garden' blog posts.

My criteria? Whatever grabbed my eye as I perused the photos..


moongate by Richard Hartlage





Andy Goldsworthy Spire, San Francisco




Cornell




Blue Moon Bridge by Virginia Small 





Meadow flowers





Baptisia Purple Smoke, Bluestone Perennials






bicycletteboutique.com







Jan Johnsen, landscape design 



From the film, Being There









Comments

  1. Do you ever use daylily (ies) as a single flower or a clump in your landscape? There are over 60,000 registered daylilies, colors ranging from white to almost black, heights starts at 4" go up to 5', all different type of flowers; reblooming; bloom from early May to late Oct. Daylilies are excellent additional to a garden since they are low maintenance, require minimum water requirement, and are great focal point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great selection of images today. They make you pause......and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - and pine for warmer weather. Although I must admit that January makes the garden season all the sweeter.

      Delete
  3. Mmmm. Ahhh. So nice to see these great photos in the middle of winter.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these are adorable photos! The blue bird is eye catching no doubt. And those meadow flowers are beautiful. Having these in your very own yard would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ELLandscapers - I am so glad you like them. My fave is the meadow flowers too.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jan,
    I just stumbled onto your site. Actually, when I saw "Heaven is a garden", I didn't realize that it was the name of your book. Personally, if I make it to Heaven, I hope it is a "garden". Anyway, I loved looking at some of the photos. I especially like Meadow Flowers. I love the "feel" of it.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen