Why I Design Gardens

Hakonechloa, catmint, perennial salvia

The design of the landscape is all encompassing. 

It includes urban spaces, civic squares, meeting areas, parks, gardens, linear nature corridors, waterfronts and more. 

Phipps Sustainable Landscape in Pittsburgh

Landscape design can be defined as an outdoor area that is molded and manipulated for an intended outcome. It can be stark, sleek and bold. It can be quaint, cozy and comforting. The common denominator is the modification of outdoor space.

Dallas Arboretum - Rocks in landscape

What? No plants? Well, landscape architecture should include plants in my opinion.   But the definition doesn't necessarily include them.

Drumstick Allium - wonderful

With that said, you can follow your own star as it relates to landscaping.  Concrete plazas are your thing? Then so be it.

Co-creating with Nature is my mantra.
Recirculating cascade - Johnsen Landscapes

I prefer natural elements. Rocks. Trees. Soil.  Flowers. I celebrate the idea that we are one with the earth.  

Landscape design can enhance a feeling of unity with our environment and remind us of the reasons we must facilitate its survival. 

That is why I design gardens.




Comments

  1. Great Post!! It is very useful and knowledgeable for anyone. I learn many new things from here and want implement my website. If you are also Know for something New related to this then visit my website. I wanted to thank you for this excellent post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sungreen Landscaping! I love the name of your company...conjures up the best things!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen