Hardy Sedums - Some Great Varieties to Try!


'Sea Gold' Sedum rupestre 

Sedums seem to be taking over the plant world and for good reason - these small but tough succulent plants are well suited to the growing conditions of rock gardens, green walls, dry harsh environments and green roofs.   They can survive with very little water (in the first year they will need extra watering during a dry period). And many have small but numerous flowers which are amazingly eye catching.




Today low growing sedum varieties are more available than ever thanks to the popularity of green roofs. There are companies that sell Sedum Mats which I think are a great way to install a sedum garden. Just unroll the mat and there you go!




I like to use creeping sedum in the rock gardens that I create - the first year they may look like little clumps but they spread within a year to create a solid cover even on rock outcrops...Sedum 'Angelina' is a fave.

Sedum 'Angelina'

I also like the Sunsparkler sedums.  I wrote a post about them. Click here for that post.

Sun Sparkler 'Cherry Tart' Sedum
 I could gush about sedums and their variety in shape, colors, texture and more. But photos do a better job.  So here are a few hardy sedums (at least USDA zone 5) from the phenomenal Mountain Crest Gardens  website that you might consider:

Sedum acre 'Aureum'
Sedum Acre 'Aureum':  Acre is a low growing creeping succulent evergreen with leaves of different shades of green. In spring it bears yellow star shaped flowers. Good strong grower.This variety has light green leaves with a yellow cast. It holds its leaves in winter. Excellent in rock gardens.


Sedum album 'Coral Carpet'
Sedum Album 'Coral Carpet': Album is a very tough little plant, with a think mat of stems and leaves. The flowers appear in white clusters shaped like stars with long stamens and red anthers. This variety has small 'bead' leaves of green, turning a lovely coral shade. Low grower with spreading habit. Works well in green roof and vertical wall projects.



Sedum Borschii Sport
Sedum Borschii Sport: This grows 2" tall, spreads and is apple green with small tight leaves! A good grower with a spreading habit. A sport of Borschii.


Sedum Fosterianum 'Oracle'
Sedum Fosterianum 'Oracle': Stonecrop. Attractive gray-blue needle-like foliage on red stems. Large golden flower clusters. Good for rock gardens, containers, and trailing over walls. Drought tolerant. Full Sun. Hardy to Zone 3.


Sedum Kamtschaticum Variegatum
Sedum Kamtschaticum Variegatum:   Kam. is a very tough drought tolerant species which has half inch golden yellow flowers that open from pink buds usually during early summer. This variety  features compact clusters of deep green leaves variegated with creamy white edges. Goes dormant in winter.  Zone 4. Great spreader. 


Sedum Moranense
Sedum Moranense: Lovely in fall, turning into a bright pink. Medium grower but holds a nice controlled shape. 5" tall. Zone 5. 



Sedum Reflexum 'Sea Gold'
Sedum Reflexum 'Sea Gold':  Reflexum is a fast growing dense mat of succulent conifer blue foliage with brilliant yellow flowers. This variety has creeping golden green branches (and a blue tinge - see the first photo of this post) with linear leaves which turn rosy in fall. Sun to part shade. 4" -6" tall. Zone 5.


Once you get hooked on sedums and their ease of growth and their unbelievable variety you will never look back...Sedum-mania is on!











Comments

  1. Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.

    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
    My blog covers a lot of interesting and helpful posts just like yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. And also, I think you'll love my recent blog post titled What To Do When Your Motivation Towards A Goal Wanes

    I'm hoping to hear from you too and quickly, you've got a great blog here.

    Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to really get into sedums too, after ignoring them for years. I was surprised to read recently that 'Angelina', by some mix-up or late action, is not patented, so we can feel free to propagate away! I like the Cherry Tart you show. I have not seen that in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I did not know that! and btw, I passed your tree quiz on your website to my students at Columbia. Love your website ..will try the bark quiz soon: http://whatbloomswhen.com/judging-a-tree-by-its-cover-a-bark-quiz/

      Delete
  3. Given the extremely dry year California had last year, and our current non-winter (no rain, no snow, it's not even freezing in January), I am looking more toward sedums, et al., whatever requires little to no water. We've got a well (live in the boonies), and I want to DRINK our water vs. pour it over myriad flowers. =) Thanks for this post. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the rains come for you...I guess sedum and agaves are the way to go for now. Save your water, biobabbler.

      Delete
  4. So glad to see the blog about sedums. They are some of my favorites. Your site is wonderful and I feel you have so much information. Love the quotes and photos. I hope to get a lot of inspiration from you. Thanks. (and Amy, heading over to yours too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim! I love to share my wonder at all these great plants!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen

The Tradition of Hanami - Cherry Blossom Viewing in Japan