Naumkeag White Birch by Rich Pomerantz - Photo of the Day


photo of naumkeag by Rich Pomerantz

Richard Pomerantz is a professional photographer. He won a commendation from the Garden Photographer of the Year website in the 'Beautiful Gardens' category. This is what Rich wrote. It helps if you know the iconic shot of the blue stairs at Naumkeag...


"Fletcher Steele's 'Blue Stairs' is the centerpiece of the landscape at Naumkeag, a property of the Trustees of Reservations [in Stockbridge, Ma]. 

Everyone photographs this staircase from the same vantage point - head on. 

You can find the tripod hole marks in the ground to make that postcard photo, but I wanted to interpret it in my own way. 

Working on a book, 'Great Gardens of the Berkshires', I decided to create my own interpretation of this truly beautiful and innovative landscape design feature. I visited the site numerous times over a two year period, in all seasons, photographing the stairs from several angles.

 I realized autumn would give me what I was looking for and found this angle. It was perfect."





Comments

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen

The Tradition of Hanami - Cherry Blossom Viewing in Japan